Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Maria Melendez/ How Long She'll Last in This World

from In the Early Months of Snowmelt, 1997

"Besides the newborn, I carried new depression around,
sorrow near to me as cord blood, disguised as one of life's
essential fluids. In my teens, I'd hiked the Tetons, practicing
the work scientists do-describing the moss campion
and the class-3 ram, slogging through mud to revegetate
old horse camps. But i was utterly unschooled in the foolish
dialects of heart required to answer another whose needs
had latched completely to mine."

As a new mom i read this part in this poem and completely related to eveything she described. The new depression was not so much a sad feeling, is was more of an overwhelming feeling of a huge responsiblity that lied on my shoulders now. Its big change to get used to. This shift in my life took a while to get adjusted to. Before i had my daughter, life was much more simpler and selfish; everything was about me, and everything i did was for me. And now everything i do, i do it for her, i do and plan everything with her in mind. I agree with Melendez when she describes that she was unschooled in motherhood. Nothing could had ever prepared me for all the challenges of motherhood, even though its difficult at times, it is definately worth everything i do, and it is full of its rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment